Do you want to use only 2 ingredients at home, a blender and make creamy oat milk in 5 minutes! Let me show you how to do it!
What is oat milk?
Oat milk is oatmeal and water, then filtered to leave the pulp. The result is simple, creamy and homemade oat milk!
How to make oat milk?
Just add 1 cup of oatmeal + 4 cups of water to a high-speed blender, and then blend for 30-45 seconds at high temperature. Then filter it with the help of a sieve so that chunky residue go away. This method can produce creamy oat milk every time, which is very suitable for adding to coffee, matcha, cereals, oatmeal, baked goods, granola, etc.!
How to make flavoured oat milk?
You can also add sea salt, dates, vanilla extract, cocoa powder or berries when mixing to increase the flavour.
Frequently asked questions about oat milk
How do you make oat milk non-sticky?
Excessive mixing will make the oat milk have a sticky texture, so we recommend mixing for about 30-45 seconds to make the texture uniform. Soaking oats can also make the oats more sticky. Just add water to the blender and mix! Sometimes heating oat milk will make it sticky, so we don’t recommend this. We recommend filtering twice to remove excess starch. Starch can also produce a sticky texture. Remove excess starch, starch can also produce a slimy texture. We recommend using a clean towel or T-shirt for filtering, as the nut milk bag and fine mesh filter will allow too much pulp to pass through.
Can you make oat milk from steel-cut or instant oatmeal?
According to our experience, oatmeal is the only way to go. Steel-cut oats are unprocessed and produce less milk fat. Oatmeal is perfect and can be made into delicious creamy oat milk. The processing of quick-cooked oats is too fine and often produces thin oat milk.
Is oat milk gluten-free?
This may be controversial because some people even think that gluten-free oats are also problematic for people with gluten sensitivity and celiac disease. But based on our experience, certified gluten-free oats can make oat milk gluten-free.
How long does oat milk last?
Well sealed in the refrigerator, oat milk should last about 5 days. When it smells funny, you will know it is spoiled.
Why does my oat milk separate?
It is normal for oat milk to separate from many other types of dairy-free milk. Shake well before use!
Preparation time 10 minutes
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 3-4 cups of water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 full date, pitted (optional) or 1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Add oatmeal, water, salt and any other additional ingredients (optional) in a high-speed blender.
- Cover with a lid and Mix for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the mixture appears to be well mixed. It is not necessary to crush it to 100%. In fact, use a spoon to scoop a small sample to test its flavour/sweetness. If it is not sweet enough, please add more dates.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl or jug containing a very thin towel or a clean T-shirt. In my experience, it can benefit from removing oatmeal residues by washing it twice with a very fine towel.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days (sometimes longer).
- Shake well and enjoy a cold.
- Do not heat, otherwise, it will thicken and have a jelly-like texture.
- It can be eaten or added to granola, smoothies and baked goods. It is very delicious.
- You can use steel-cut oats, but I find that they give the oat milk a rubbery feel, so I don’t like the taste.